Sunday 4 December 2011

One Direction Infection!

I am honest when I say I’m not a boyband loving girl. I don’t do Westlife, or anything like that. I love AC/DC and Nirvana. But then a day came where everything would change.... I got One Direction Infection.

I’m sad to say I never saw them on X factor. Being in South Africa, the show didn’t catch on that fast and we never watched it. I found them in a different way; through the power of radio. Studying for an exam, I was sitting on the floor with my papers sprawled around me when a song started playing:” You’re insecure, don’t know what for, you’re turning heads when you walk through the door.” I listened to the entire song and ended up googling One Direction. Before I knew it I was looking for their pictures, joining facebook fan pages and watching youtube clips of them. In another inspired moment I phoned my best friend Leizelle and she became a Directioner too.

Suddenly we were like love struck little girls instead of the independent women we prided ourselves in being. And we LIKED it!

I’m not saying it was all easy. Our new found hobby picked up scorn from every angle, with people saying they were just a glorified Jonas Brothers. Little do they know that the Jonas Brothers would sell their souls to be as awesome (and gorgeous) as those five boys!

And just like 1,000,000 other people out there, I started adoring Harry Styles. What’s not to like? He’s cute, with those curls and his brilliant sense of humor... Definitely someone to keep an eye on!But what about these five guys makes girls world wide swoon? I think I have the answer.

They care.

To them, their fans aren’t just people who form a crowd. To them, we are as important as oxygen, and that makes the difference. Who could forget in that memorable interview when the journalist called us obsessive and Louis said no, we were dedicated? Always taking time to say hi or take pictures with fans, these boys always light up our lives.

Which is another reason I don’t understand all the hatred. Yes, they are famous, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have feelings. They are just a bunch of young guys who sing, for our benefit. The question I always want to ask all these haters is:” Would you be able to go out there and do what they do?” No, so stop judging. It takes some serious guts to perform.

One Direction is fast becoming a house-hold name. I am eager to see what they will achieve in their very bright future!


No comments:

Post a Comment