Sunday 5 February 2012

The Age of Barbies

Everyone knows them. They're the women who breeze through life, platinum cards flashing. Their luscious golden locks guarantee every door is opened for them.

They are the Barbie’s of the world.

I don’t understand the worlds obsession with blondes. Nowadays its as if they are revered above everyone else, and its not right. We received a visit from my stepsister recently, a suicidal blonde (she dyed by her own hand), and she asked me if she could dye my hair blonde. And she was genuinely shocked when I refused. I’ve always been a brunette, and several people have suggested blonde to me.

And my only thought was that I'd rather shave my head.

When I look at the stars in Hollywood, its obvious that blonde is now ten a penny. Cameron Diaz, Blake Lively and Reese Witherspoon are prime examples of this. No matter what they do, they always seem to look alike, and use the same style. Its nice and all, but it gets tedious.

Then, when you see Penelope Cruz, Jessica Alba or Christina Hendricks cross the red carpet its instantly memorable. There is something more distinct about them, something raw that stays in your memory.

I'm not a blonde hater, some of the best people in my family are blonde, including my mom. I just don’t think there should be this much pressure to change your hair colour to something that only suits a select group of people.

We’re all different. That’s what makes us amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment